13 Things I Believe
13 15 Things I Believe by Bob Sutton.
- Integrity above all. Make sure you can always look at yourself in the
mirror. Be truthful to yourself. Don’t
- Do the right thing. Even if it's hard, even if it means killing your
darlings, even if it makes you look bad. Be courageous: "no guts, no glory".
- Always go all-in. Deeply care about what you do. Be passionate. Apathy
your biggest enemy.
- Fail early and often.Indecisiveness is often worse than making a wrong
decision. Take risks, forgive yourself for mistakes, apologize,
adjust, pivot. Shut up, move on.
- Get on track and get out of the way. Show the path, trust people on
execution. Always be on your team's side.
- Assume good intentions. Context and circumstances shape bad reactions
outcomes. Don't hate. Never forget there's a human at the other side of the screen.
- Tools matter.Tools shape culture and drive efficiency. Use the right
for your craft. Take human dependencies out of equation if you can.
Pay it forward.
Be grateful about opportunities and
people. Empower, mentor and grow others as they've done for you.
- Accept ambiguity. It's part of life, remove it where you can, but don’t
let it paralyze you. Don’t use it as an excuse.
- Innovate from the bottom up. Tackle the daily pains first. Know where
you're going, but only as much as
really required to be able to pivot if you're wrong. Execution heavily influences future business strategy,
- Trust your guts, validate with data. Assume you are right, but build
confidence before execution. 70%
certainty is often enough (see Jeff Bezos’ annual
letter - section on High-velocity decision making).
- Quality first. There's too much dilution on quality. Negotiate on
quality. Be a perfectionist.
Know when to stop ("Write
tests. Not too many. Mostly integration.").
- Don't take yourself too seriously.
Life has plenty of challenges already. Banter, have fun, laugh.