Top Media Picks
Recommended websites, podcast, video and more
People sometimes ask me about media I consume (and I often recommend without being asked 🙃).
This page contains some of the things I recommend most. In all categories, I’ve really tried to hand-pick items and not make it just a dump of everything I consume.
- Hackernews: My go-to website for a daily dose of technology and programming news.
- WaitButWhy: Very good and funny long-form articles about a lot of big-picture stuff. Highly recommended.
- Awesome lists: List of lists to learn just about any topic in Tech.
- Wikipedia: for whenever I’m looking for something interesting to read
I don’t read a whole lot of books (like most of us, I wish I’d read more), but here are some that I recommend.
I routinely listen to podcasts while commuting (car, train, walk, bike) or working around the house. Here’s a few of my top recommendations.
- Hello Internet: CGP Grey & Brady Haran talking about YouTube, life, work and whatever. Equally hilarious as captivating.
- 13 minutes to the Moon: Short series telling the full story of the people who made Apollo 11 happen. Very high production quality and highly recommended.
- This week in Tech: Latest tech news discussion. Been listening on and off for more than decade; recommended.
While I don’t watch traditional TV and a limited amount of streaming TV (i.e. Netflix/Prime/…), I do consume a large amount of short-form video online on a daily basis.
Here are a few of my recommended YouTube Channels.
= top recommendation
- Smarter Every Day: Science and Technology explanation videos by Destin Sandlin who really comes accross as a genuine and nice person.
- Kurtzgezagt : Super high-quality animated videos about Science, Technology and Society.
- Veritasium: Science and Technology videos. Similar to Smarter Every Day.
- Two Minute Papers: Layman explanations of state-of-the-art AI and CGI papers.
- 3Blue1Brown: High-quality math videos.
- Adam Savage’s One Day Builds: The whole Tested channel is good, but the One Day Builds are particularly entertaining.
- Simone Giertz: Self-proclaimed Queen of Shitty Robots. Funny.
- PhysicsAnonymous: Workshop tool building. Look for their Lathe Rebuild videos in particular.
- Colin Furze: From the channel description: “Crazy inventions, brilliant world records and constant disregard to health and safety”.
- Wood By Wright: Wood Working.
- Jeremy Smidt: Small wood and metal working channel. High production quality.
- Ben Eater: Building a computer from scratch. Impressive and educational.
- ElectroBOOM: Funny as well as educational videos on electronics.
- bigclivedotcom: Electronics tear-downs.
- MKBHD: Largest (?) Tech YouTuber with high-production value videos and reviews on the latest tech and gadgets.
- Linus Tech Tips: More in-depth and wide-ranged tech reviews and content.
- Ave: Power tool breakdowns, CNC Milling, and a lot of swearing. This guy knows a lot about a lot of things.
- Andrew Camarata: Long-length videos of a guy doing property maintenance.
- J Mantzel: All-arounder building a new life and house off-grid in Panama.
- Primitive Technology : Guy building stuff using prehistorical techniques only. Enable Closed Captioning for extra information in the videos.
- LEMMINO : In-depth high-quality videos on intriguing mysteries.
- CPG Grey: Animated videos on all sort of interesting topics.
- Tom Scott: Short videos on all sort of interesting topics.
- Dude Perfect: Bunch of dudes (a bit macho) doing insane sport trick-shots.
- Binging with Babish: Cooking with a dash of comedy.
I tend to only play 2-3 video games a year, mostly on the PS4.
Some recommendations from the last few years:
- The Last of Us: 10/10 - Must play. Best story telling in any game, ever.
- Unchartered 4: A Thief’s End: Exceptional. Get ready for a rollercoaster with excellent world building, game mechanics and story-telling.
- PSVR: Astro Bot: Rescue Mission: Outstanding VR game. Hours of pure joy - highly recommended.
- PSVR: Beat Saber: I generally dislike rhythm games, so I was completely surprised when I came semi-addicted to Beat Saber for a few weeks. Recommended!
- Assasin’s Creed: Black Flag A bit older, but arguably the best Assasin’s creed game ever made (better than Origins in my opinion).
I didn’t know a better place for these items :-)
- Morningbrew: Excellent newsletter on upcoming technology.
Comments, questions, feedback? I'm @jorisroovers on